Feb 19, 2018

Clothes

I started my Konmari Method, round 3 by reading what Marie Kondo says about tidying clothes. I didn't yet read about organizing them joyfully in my closets and drawers as she says that discarding is the number one priority first. Of course I organized everything the Konmari way but didn't care if the organization doesn't spark joy right now. I will organize everything in the end when I'm left with all my things that spark joy, and nothing else.

I'll show you my pictures about the "before" state of my clothes storage.


My wire drawer in the walk-in closet
The walk-in closet that I share with my husband

The wardrobe I share with my husband.

Clothes rack where I have my worn clothes
that are still good to go without washing.
My hubby has his on the chair.

The situation I started with is not all that bad. As a matter of fact, I thought I was pretty well organized as is. Anyways, I knew I had a few things I don't want to have anymore. So I went through everything in the KonMari order: first the ones that are closest to my heart - the tops, then the bottoms and outdoor clothes the last. Then I continued to shoes, accessories and bags.

The discarding process was pretty quickly done because I had all the clothes stored already in categories. Nevertheless, I learned a lot about myself as I really paid attention on my feelings when I sorted through the clothes.

I didn't save any clothes that didn't spark joy even if I just bought them in Finland in the summer. I also discarded clothes that do not spark joy that I had got from a dear person. Furthermore, I discarded clothes that do not fit me right now - I'm quite happy with my body at the moment and I don't want to have any clothes that tell me I should lose weight or get thinner. 

I noticed I have a hard time letting go clothes that are made of good material, like wool or silk. But now I let go of such quality garments that were too worn out to be used anymore. I also made my categories more plain: I let go of odd pieces of underwear that I never use, like old slips I have inherited from some old relative. I discarded leggings that didn't look good on me - and was left with none.

I decided to discard my comfy fleece robe and start using my beautiful silk or silky type of robes. Silk is surprisingly warm although it is thin. I feel beautiful wearing those but in my fleece robe I felt like someone who has a flu and has forgotten to take care of herself. I don't know why - it is white with pink roses so basically the pattern is one I like. I guess it is the fluffy, thick material all around my body that creates the feeling.

While sorting through clothes I realized I really shouldn't by anything in a hurry or if I don't know exactly what I need and want. I had to throw away shoes that look nice but kill my feet if I put them on. I threw away a shirt that was of nice material and design but badly cut.

In the end I had only clothes that I really wear and that spark joy for me. None that are too worn out, too small or large or just there because of sentimental reasons. In the process I reduced the needed storage space - I let go of the wire drawer in the walk-in closet and the open clothes rack in my bedroom. My drawers and wardrobe are way less full. I also decided not to use the baskets in the wardrobe anymore because the clothes fit nicely in only one row on the shelf. Except the tights that I still put in a basket. Maybe I should store them in the drawer in my bedroom, come to think of it!


My wardrobe after discarding.

My side of the walk-in closet after discarding.


I put my worn clothes that are still good to go on the rack in the walk-in closet. On the top shelf I have my bags, stored in bags, as well as my off-season shoes in the colorfully striped tote bag. My hats are all in one pile. In the blue box are my and my husband's matriculation caps.


Our bedroom looks so much roomier now that I let go of the open rack. It is a wonder how much effect removing one tall piece of furniture has!


I managed to pack my underwear and accesories into only three drawers in my bedroom:

All of my bra, underwear and thin socks.
(I have my foot cream here too so I remember to use it regurlarly.)
In the box are bra straps.

My scarves, woolly socks and off-season gloves.

In the middle my purses.
On the right and left are some of my craft and bullet journal supplies. 

To reflect on my vision, I picked the clothes that I think look nice on me and that I love. I managed to make more empty floor space and empty drawers. I also feel that I'm getting closer to my click point - the state in which I have just the right amount of belongings in my house to feel comfortable.


The next phase is the books. Book storage is a problem for me because we don't seem to have enough space for books and I tend to buy new books all the time, especially for kids. At this point I'm only going to deal with my own books and do a careful joycheck as I did with my clothes. And I should decide to use the library with the kids and myself regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment